Chillblains, also known as Perniosis and chill burns, is a medical condition which causes certain individuals to react abnormally to cold temperatures and humidity, causing tissue damage of the feet and hands. The condition can be linked to some connective tissue diseases, and Raynaud’s phenomenon.
Symptoms of Chilblains that you have to look out for are:
- Erythema (blanchable redness of the skin)
- Skin discolouration (red to dark blue)
- Burning and itching sensation of the feet
- Ulceration (in severe cases)
- Pain in the affected area
- Soaking the feet in warm water with Epsom salts
- Keeping the affected area warm.
- Avoiding extreme temperature changes (from hot to cold)
- Keep the affected area dry.
- Avoid restricting the affected area with tight clothing
- Vitamin B supplements to improve circulation
- Wear thick socks and shoes.
- Avoid tight fitting socks and shoes
- Regular exercise for circulation
Ask our Podiatrist
If you have a question about your foot health, please ask us below. We’d love to help!
HICAPS now enables you with efficient and easy payment processing for private health fund claims, Medicare claims and lodgement of Worksafe Victoria claims. Comfort Feet Podiatry Group has been working with the following registered HICAPS Health Fund Partners to deliver exceptional podiatry services to your entire family.